Fred Liebenberg is a founder and developer of AlphaDEX and DeXter. Currently based in Cape Town, South Africa, Liebenberg has a diverse background in financial services, development, and entrepreneurship.
Early Life and Education
Liebenberg attended Paarl Boys' High School, completing his Matric in 1993. He later pursued a B.Com in Actuarial (Mathematics/Stats) from Stellenbosch University between 1994 and 1996. In addition to his undergraduate degree, Liebenberg has credentials from the CAIA Association in Alternative Investments and has also been a part of the CFA Program at the CFA Institute, focusing on Investments and Securities.
- Actuarial Assistant (Jan 1997 - Feb 2001): Liebenberg began his career at Old Mutual as an Actuarial Assistant, where he worked in the Actuarial Finance division, assisting with actuarial valuations for over four years.
- Product Development (Mar 2001 - Aug 2002): He then transitioned to a role in product development, where he assisted in creating structured products for institutional clients.
- Head of Customer Experience (Jan 2019 - Jun 2022): In this role, Liebenberg championed the cause of customers throughout the business, working closely with colleagues to improve customer experiences.
- Manager Research Analyst (Sep 2002 - Dec 2004): Liebenberg was responsible for manager research and provided monthly reporting and commentary for Symmetry's Absolute Return Funds.
- Head: Absolute and Fixed Interest Manager Research (2005 - 2011): For six years, he managed the portfolio of the Absolute Return and Fixed Interest Funds, overseeing manager research and selection, client report backs, and sales presentations.
- Head of Retail (Jan 2012 - Jun 2013): Liebenberg was responsible for increasing Symmetry's presence in the retail market, building client relationships, and advising on the portfolio management of Symmetry retail unit trust funds.
- Business Development: Head of Fund Specialists (Jul 2013 - Dec 2018): In this role, he managed and supported the team of Old Mutual Wealth Fund Specialists nationally and was responsible for adding and monitoring third-party funds on the Old Mutual Wealth investment platform.
- Developer and Entrepreneur (Jun 2022 - Present): Combining his experience in Financial Services with his passion for coding, Liebenberg has been developing tools and applications to accelerate the adoption of decentralized financial services, especially for people in Africa.